Theatre Royal Plymouth endeavours to make live performances accessible to everyone. We pride ourselves on the following facilities and services which we offer, and are committed to continuing to make further adaptations to ensure that our patrons are able to get the most from their visits.
Accessible tickets can be purchased over the phone on 01752 267222 or in person at our Box Office. Concessionary tickets are available for some of our performances; if you feel that you are eligible for a concession please ask when booking.
For patrons who are unable to attend performances unless accompanied, upon purchase of a ticket, an additional enabler seat is available free of charge, subject to availability. These tickets need to be requested at the time of booking as they cannot be added retrospectively.
Wheelchair & Mobility Scooter Spaces
Spaces for wheelchair and mobility scooter patrons and an enabler are located in The Lyric, The Drum, and The Lab. To get the best seating position to meet your needs please share as much information as possible about your seating requirements at the time of booking.
There are a number of locations which are accessible to patrons wishing to transfer from their own wheelchair, mobility scooter, or walking aid into a seat. Please ensure that you let us know about these requirements when booking, to enable us to prepare for your needs in advance. On arrival, a member of staff will be able to advise where is best for you to keep your wheelchair, mobility scooter, or walking aid during the performance. Due to our Health and Safety regulations we are unable to keep any wheelchairs, mobility scooters or walking aids in the auditorium during the performances. Please note that items left in the foyer areas are left at the patron’s own risk.
We have accessible toilets on all four floors. A radar key is required for the access toilets apart from the one on the ground floor and in The Apron restaurant; if you require a key please ask a member of staff who will be happy to help. There is a lift to each floor, including down to The Lab, and ramps for specific areas. In addition, the TRP Café, Bars and Box Office all have counter areas which are lowered.
Assistance dogs are welcome in all our performance spaces or can be looked after by the theatre management. On booking your tickets please inform a member of staff and they can advise on the best seats to accommodate you and make arrangements for the care of your dog if required.
Hearing enhancers are free of charge and can be used in The Lyric and The Drum. The specialist equipment amplifies what is being said on the stage, via an infrared system which can be picked up in specific areas of the auditoriums. This service uses either a standard headsets or a personal loop system which can be linked to most hearing aids. When booking your tickets, please let Box Office know if you plan to borrow a headset, as they can advise you on the best seats to receive a strong signal. Headsets and personal hearing loops can be collected near Box Office a maximum of 1 hour prior to the performance.
Winter 2019/Spring 2020 Access Brochure
Sign up to receive an Access Brochure
Our Access Forum meets regularly to discuss improvements to our facilities and services. Feedback from your visit is welcomed. Please feel free to either tell a member of staff in person, email us or call us on 01752 668282.
We offer a range of access performances, of which you can find out more details in the sections below.
If you will need appropriate seats for hearing enhancers, wheelchair access, or any other requirement, let our Box Office team know when booking your ticket, or contact us up to two weeks prior to the performance.
See our Access Performances Listing at the bottom of this page for a full, updated list of our Access Performances, or take a look at your selected show page to see what’s available.
Audio Descriptions are broadcast live as the performance is taking place and are accessed via a standard headset which is linked to our infrared system in the auditorium. The describer will set the scene by describing set details, costumes and visual characteristics, as well as keeping you informed as to what is taking place on the stage as it happens. Headsets can be collected free of charge from Box Office a maximum of 1 hour prior to the performance.
Programme notes for Audio Described performances will be available two days before the performance and are available to download from our website, on the relevant show page.
Touch Tours offer patrons an opportunity to enjoy a sensory close-up experience of exploring props, costumes, characters, and sets. It provides patrons with extra detail of the performance before the show starts, enabling them to fully engage with what is happening on the stage. Touch tours usually last approximately 30 minutes and are ticketed for specific shows. If there is not one available for your preferred show, please ask, as on some occasions these can be arranged for individuals upon special request.
We offer a number of Captioned performances, where all dialogue from the performance is displayed on 2 screens located on either side of the stage. The captions include sound effects, as well as the character’s name, and are produced to synchronise with the actor’s delivery, thus enabling patrons to follow the dialogue as it is spoken.
British Sign Language Interpreted
A BSL interpreter will stand on the stage and give a British Sign Language interpretation of the text sung or spoken by the actors and singers on the stage. Please inform staff when booking tickets if you would like to access this as they can advise for the best seating for the best view of the interpreter.
These special performances are accessible to everyone, as we look at how we can reduce the stress that some of the sensory elements of a show can cause by creating a more relaxed environment.
- There is an informal atmosphere and patrons can enter and leave the auditorium throughout the show as doors are left open
- The house lights will stay on
- Strobe lighting is avoided
- There will not be any loud bangs or loud music
- A chill-out zone is available
- Making noise during the show is not discouraged
- We have additional staff on hand with Makaton training
- There are an increased number of wheelchair spaces available
If you know someone who finds the idea of a trip to the theatre daunting and may benefit from a more relaxed environment then let them know about Relaxed performances.
Access Performances Listing
Audio Described Performances
- Motown The Musical – Sat 17 Aug 2.30pm
- The Bodyguard – Sat 31 Aug 7.30pm
- Buddy 30th Anniversary Tour – Fri 06 Sep 7.30pm
- The Rocky Horror Show – Sat 12 Oct 5.30pm
- One Under – All performances Thu 17 – Sat 26 Oct 7.45pm
- WNO Carmen – Sat 19 Oct 7.15pm
- Matthew Bourne’s The Red Shoes – Sat 23rd Nov 2.30pm
- Nativity! The Musical – Sat 30 Nov 2pm
- We Will Rock You – Thu 05 Dec 7.30pm
- Cinderella – Thu 09 Jan 2020 2.30pm & Fri 17 2020 7pm
- RSC As You Like It – Sat 15 Feb 2020 1.30pm
- RSC The Taming of the Shrew – Tue 18 Feb 2020 7.30pm
- RSC Measure for Measure – Sat 22 Feb 2020 1.30pm
- The Mousetrap – Thu 27 Feb 2020 2.30pm
- An Inspector Calls – Fri 06 Mar 2020 7.30pm
- Acosta Danza – Sat 28 Mar 2020 7.30pm
- WNO The Marriage of Figaro – Fri 17 Apr 2020 7pm
- Mamma Mia! – Sat 01 Aug 2020 7.30pm
BSL Interpreted Performances
- Motown The Musical – Fri 16 Aug 7.30pm
- The Bodyguard – Thu 29 Aug 2.30pm
- Buddy 30th Anniversary Tour – Sat 07 Sep 2.30pm
- One Under – All performances Thu 17 – Sat 26 Oct 7.45pm
- Nativity! The Musical – Fri 29 Nov 7pm
- We Will Rock You – Sat 07 Dec 7.30pm
- Cinderella – Fri 10 Jan 2020 7pm & Thu 16 Jan 2020 2.30pm
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert – Thu 23 Jan 2020 7.30pm
- RSC The Taming of the Shrew – Wed 19 Feb 2020 7.30pm
- RSC As You Like It – Thu 20 Feb 2020 7.30pm
- RSC Measure for Measure – Fri 21 Feb 2020 7.30pm
- The Mousetrap – Sat 29 Feb 2020 2.30pm
- The Strange Tale of Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel – Wed 27 Nov 7.15pm
- The Elves and the Shoemaker – Sat 04 Jan 3pm
- Cinderella – Wed 15 Jan 2020 12.30pm (Audio described and BSL interpreted by Daryl Mcmullan)
- Holes – Fri 20 Mar 12pm
- Motown The Musical – Sat 17 Aug 1.30pm
- The Rocky Horror Show – Sat 12 Oct 4.40pm
- WNO Carmen – Sat 19 Oct 6pm
- RSC As You Like It – Sat 15 Feb 2020 11.30pm
- RSC The Taming of the Shrew – Tue 18 Feb 2020 5.30pm
- RSC Measure for Measure – Sat 22 Feb 2020 11.30am
- An Inspector Calls – Fri 06 Mar 2020 6.30pm
- Acosta Danza – Sat 28 Mar 2020 6pm
- WNO The Marriage of Figaro – Fri 17 Apr 2020 5.45pm