Participants in the 2022 National Theatre’s Young Technicians Programme © Belinda Lawley
Are you interested in lighting, sound, video and automation? Are you aged between 13–19? Then our technical theatre workshops could be for you! The Nationwide Young Technicians offers an exciting opportunity to develop your skills and learn all about a variety of backstage and off-stage roles from top industry professionals. This FREE course will take place in two parts:
· The first part of the course will be online on Tuesday evenings from 5-7pm, running from Tuesday 9 January to Tuesday 26 March 2024. In these workshops you’ll be introduced to the basics of technical theatre including lighting, sound and stages, through demonstrations and practical activities.
· After the online course, there will be the opportunity to continue developing on your practical skills and knowledge by participating in in-person workshops created, led and facilitated by our partner organisations HOME Manchester, Nottingham Playhouse and Theatre Royal Plymouth.
· To apply and take part in this opportunity, you must live within South Devon and Cornwall.
Online Workshop Dates (these sessions will take place on Zoom)
- Tues 9 Jan 5-7pm
- Tues 16 Jan 5-7pm
- Tues 23 Jan 5-7pm
- Tues 30 Jan 5-7pm
- Tues 6 Feb 5-7pm
(no session Tues 13 Feb – half term)
- Tues 20 Feb 5-7pm
- Tues 27 Feb 5-7pm
- Tues 5 Mar 5-7pm
- Tues 12 Mar 5-7pm
- Tues 19 Mar 5-7pm
- Tues 26 Mar 5-7pm
Partner venue dates are as follows:
Theatre Royal Plymouth
- Across two weekends in early March, exact dates to be confirmed
We are furthering our commitment to diversity and access by concentrating recruitment in these areas that we recognise are currently underrepresented in the field of technical theatre:
· Young people who identify as Female, Trans and/ or Non-binary
· Young people from the Global majority
· Young people from working class backgrounds
· Young people who identify as D/deaf or disabled.
To apply please complete this application form by 10am, Monday 4th December 2023. This is your chance to tell us about your interest in any element of technical theatre. You can write, record or video your answers (within the word and time limits). If you have any further questions, please contact email@example.com